Operating instructions for the REMSTIM 3000
Operating instructions for the
Status 21.02.2019: Subject to changes.
With your new REMSTIM 3000 you have found the ideal partner for better emotional balance and greater mental performance.
Before the first use
The REMSTIM 3000 – Rapid Eye Movement Stimulator 3000 has been specifically designed to stimulate the user’s eyes back and forth in a horizontal direction. Among others, this type of eye movement is used in rapid eye movement stimulation (also called bilateral hemisphere stimulation). Stimulation of eye movement through REMSTIM 3000 can be adjusted by the user with respect to the displacement and speed of the points of light.
Before using REMSTIM 3000 for the first time please read the manual carefully and completely, and retain it for future reference. If REMSTIM 3000 is passed on, this manual must be given to the new owner.
- The REMSTIM 3000 is a device used for the stimulation of eye movements. The use of REMSTIM 3000 for the stimulation of eye movement is regarded to be a form of performance-enhancing mental training. It is not a diagnostic procedure, a medical device, medical treatment, or other form of treatment, and does not treat any diseases or disease symptoms. No curative claims are made to raise false hopes in the user.
- The use of REMSTIM 3000 does not replace the work of a psychotherapist, physician or alternative medicine practitioner. Therefore, an ongoing treatment should not be interrupted or cancelled, and any treatment needed in the future should not be postponed or omitted entirely.
- In no case does the use of REMSTIM 3000 annul doctor’s orders. The responsibility lies entirely with the user.
- In describing physical, emotional and mental states – in particular through the use of words such as stress, burden, worry, grief, agitation, anxiety, tension and similar terms – only the feelings of healthy people within a natural range of variation are being described. In no instance is there intent to give an impression that the sensitivities mentioned exceed a certain degree of impairment, and are seeking to describe or even represent diseases, suffering, physical damage, or pathological disturbances.
- Normal mental and physical capacity is a prerequisite for the user, as is also the standard with coaching.
- Use of the REMSTIM 3000 is not suitable, at any time, for those who are suffering or have suffered from the following diseases in particular:
- Eye disorders,
- Cerebro-organic diseases,
- Addictive disorders,
- Dissociative disorders,
- Ego disorders.
- It is the user’s responsibility and free decision to start, continue, or cease using the REMSTIM 3000.
- The use of REMSTIM 3000 can temporarily cause intense emotions.
- Only use the REMSTIM 3000 for the purpose for which it is intended. Be sure that the REMSTIM 3000 completely fills your field of view when it is put on, and entirely prevents view of your environment.
- The REMSTIM 3000 is intended for personal use while sitting or lying down. REMSTIM 3000 is not provided for commercial use. We recommend up to 3 consecutive applications of 30 seconds each.
- If the eye movements are found to be unpleasant, particularly during the first application, optimisation (lower level) of the device’s personal displacement/speed settings is required. In the rare case of dizziness, nausea, or eye pain, remove the REMSTIM 3000 and adjust the settings.
- Clear vision of the (chaser) light points is barely possible and is not intended, nor is it a necessary condition for successful application.
- The REMSTIM 3000 is not suitable for use by children and must be kept out of the reach of children.
- The materials used in the preparation of REMSTIM 3000 may cause an allergic skin reaction in users who are susceptible to allergy. In such a case, consult a doctor immediately.
- If the manufacturer’s instructions are observed before the use and handling of the sealed lithium button cells, then they are not harmful or dangerous. If there is no hypersensitivity against certain substances present (allergic reactions), skin contact with the lithium button cells is harmless.
- Do not expose REMSTIM 3000 to extreme weather conditions (rain, snow, sun, wind).
- Protect the REMSTIM 3000 against water.
REMSTIM 3000 always starts with the last used settings. Three downwards running yellow points of light indicate the start of the 30-second application. Three upwards running yellow points of light indicate the end of an application.
1. Switching on:
The REMSTIM 3000 is started by pressing the left button. It stops automatically after 30 seconds and can then be restarted by pressing the left button again.
Note: REMSTIM 3000 cannot be stopped during the 30-second application. To interrupt the stimulation during the on-going application, take off the device or close your eyes.
2. Adjusting the eye movement displacement range:
The level of eye displacement defines how far the eyes are guided alternately to the left and to the right side during an application. The REMSTIM 3000 offers 4 levels of displacement. You may choose between them during the application to ensure optimal well-being.
The eye movement displacement range is adjusted by pressing the left button during operation. The 4 possible levels of displacement can be switched by repeatedly pressing the left button. Two green points of light rapidly flash to mark the selected displacement. A 30-second application will then automatically start again:
|Level of displacement||Displacement range|
|1||+/- 8 LEDs|
|2||+/- 10 LEDs|
|3||+/- 12 LEDs|
|4||+/- 15 LEDs|
|1 etc.||+/- 8 LEDs etc.|
Tip: To achieve best effects, select the highest level of displacement that you find pleasant during application. An increase up to level 4 is recommended, assuming tolerance for this.
Note: Clear vision of the (chaser) light points is barely possible and is not intended, nor is it a necessary condition for successful application.
3. Adjusting the speed:
The speed of stimulation can be adjusted at any time during an application. This regulates the pace of the moving light signal.
The speed is adjusted by pressing the right button during operation. The three possible levels of speed are switched by repeatedly pressing the right button:
|Level of speed||Speed|
|1 etc.||slow etc.|
Tip: To achieve best effects, select the highest level of speed that you find pleasant during application. An increase up to level 3 is recommended, assuming tolerance.
With the same level of speed, the felt speed increases when a lower level of displacement is selected.
- Sit or lie down. End other activities.
- Put on the REMSTIM 3000 just like normal glasses.
- Start the REMSTIM 3000 as instructed in the Operation section by pressing the left button and follow the light signal with your eyes.
- After 30 seconds, the application will automatically terminate.
- Breathe in and out quietly and continuously during an application.
- The functions of eye movement displacement and speed can be set according to your personal condition, as described in the Operation section.
Using the REMSTIM 3000 in 6 steps
On the following pages you will find a quick start guide, which will allow you to optimally use REMSTIM 3000. Using REMSTIM 3000 in 6 steps will help provide you with careful training with regard to certain matters and issues that are a burden for you emotionally and mentally.
Please note that with some issues and matters that involve you in a particular way, it may be advisable to contact a coach or therapist who you trust. Read the important information about this issue.
1. Step: Your subject
- What moves you the most at this moment?
- What kind of thoughts are burdening you currently? What is the most unpleasant image, the most unpleasant sentence?
- What´s on your mind?
- Concentrate on the idea, the situation, the thing, the image, the phrase, etc. that burdens you the most!
2. Step: Your emotion
- Do you feel something while you concentrate on your subject?
- Which emotion do you feel?
- Is it for example: Anger, resentment, outrage, annoyance, fear, anxiety, grief, loss, helplessness, powerlessness, surprise, confusion, “being in the wrong movie”, guilt, responsibility, shame, humiliation, insult, degradation, disgust, hatred, abhorrence, repugnance, “horror”, fatigue, thirst, hunger, inability to feel? Or another emotion?
The list represents a number of unpleasant emotions and does not claim to be complete.
3. Step: Body scan I – Your physical sensations
- Do you feel something in your body? Is there a body echo of your emotion?
- Do you feel an emotion, a physical sensation somewhere in a part of your body?
- Can you perceive some kind of pressure, drag, heat, cooling or the like within you?
- Or do you perceive nothing, and it is like a non-sensation?
4. Step: The intervention (Processing)
- Feel your topic and your emotion(s) within you. Feel your physical sensation (including non-sensation) now!
- Now start the application of REMSTIM 3000
- Breathe gently and regularly!
- When the REMSTIM 3000 application ends, take a deep breath and let your feelings pour out of you when you exhale.
- What has changed internally? Observe your emotion(s), your body feeling, when you now think about your topic from the beginning (associations?).
→ Go back to the first point of intervention (4th step) and begin the process again. Go through the process as often as you want. For example, until you have distanced yourself from your topic and feel liberated.
5. Step: Body scan II
- Think about your subject. Sense and search for small residual feelings. If you find any, intervene with the REMSTIM 3000 as described in the 4th step until the best possible result is achieved.
6. Step: Finally – The anchoring
- Now think of your topic and notice the first positive thought that comes to your mind.
- Repeat this for your pleasant thoughts in the mind again and again. Intervene now with the REMSTIM 3000 – Choose the slow chaser light speed.
- Breathe gently and regularly and repeat your pleasant thought.
Maintain REMSTIM 3000 in top condition
- Clean the surface of REMSTIM 3000 regularly. To do this, only use a dry cloth (glasses cleaning cloth).
- Damage to the device: If the device is broken or damaged, do not attempt to repair the device yourself. Contact the customer service department in case of damage (see Customer Service section).
Notice pursuant to German Battery Act (BattG)
REMSTIM 3000 is powered by a battery that is included in the delivery package. Therefore, we are obliged under the German Battery Act (BattG) to draw your attention to the following:
Batteries and accumulators must not be disposed of with household waste. You are rather legally obliged to return used batteries and accumulators!
Old batteries can contain harmful substances that could harm the environment or your health if improperly stored or disposed of. Batteries also contain important raw materials such as iron, zinc, manganese, or nickel, and can be recycled.
After using the battery, you can either
- return it to us (Thomas Buhl Coaching Instrumente, Am Dachsbau 59, 13503 Berlin, Germany)
- or return it in your area free of charge (for example, in a retail market or at communal collecting points).
The return of batteries to retail outlets is limited to end users for the disposal of usual quantities, and of those old batteries which the retailer offers or has previously offered in its product range.
The cross-out waste bin sign means that you cannot dispose of batteries and accumulators with household waste. The signs under the waste bin on batteries stand for:
- Pb: Battery contains lead
- Cd: Battery contains cadmium
- Hg: Battery contains mercury
Replacing the battery
Inadequate battery power causes functional limitations in operation and program sequence, which are eliminated when a new battery is inserted. If the capacity of the supplied battery (3.0 V DL1220 / CR1220 / CR 1216 button cell. Note: CR 1225 does not fit because it is too thick) decreases, replace the old battery with a new one.
To do this, remove the battery from the holder by carefully inserting a pointed non-metallic tool (toothpick included) into the front gap of the button cell holder above the red mark. The battery will then pop out. Avoid any force; it could damage the button cell holder. Insert the new battery; positive contact upwards.
Notice regarding disposal of old appliances and electronic scrap
From March 2006 onwards, old devices may no longer be disposed of with household garbage as per the Electrical and Electronic Equipment Act (ElektroG). This not only includes the typical electrical appliances such as televisions, washing machines or refrigerators, but also video games, speakers, computers, laptops, MP3 players, peripherals, printers, telephones, electric-powered children’s toys or other electric-powered old devices. These devices can be recognised through the symbol of a “crossed-out garbage can”. The symbol can be found on the equipment or packaging. The electronic scrap can be given free of cost to municipal collection points. Your municipal waste management or the consumer centres can give you information on the exact location of the collection points.